Football video analysis
Football coaches love video analysis. But is this the best method for analysing football? Scientists doubt it“… while coaches are expected to be experts at observing and analysing performance, research has pointed to severe human limitations within these processes (1)”. Their research shows that coaches are likely “to see what they already know”(Goethe), as their knowledge and experience can get in the way of an objective analysis. This blind faith in the power of their intuitions, prevents them make more informed and better decisions on how to improve performance.
Football data analysis
Football is a complex game. A football match is made up of many single actions that are performed by different players, in many different positions, and at different times during play. The sequence and timing of the actions is also important, and so is their outcome. Such a large amount of information poses a great demand on the power of observation and analysis of even the most expert of coaches. They need help to unravel this complexity.
Computer data analysis has offered such help for sometime now, but only recently it has received the attention it deserves (see ‘The numbers game - A football revolution’). Computers have been used for years to analyse business data, and help companies improve performance and become more more competitive. Why not use them to analyse football, and improve the performance of a team? This innovative thinking was fundamental in the development SoccerLogic.
SoccerLogic - Football intelligence
“The secret of success is knowing something nobody else knows.” A. Onassis
SoccerLogic is an innovative system for analysing football matches that exploits the power of modern computer analysis (analytics) to transform match data into many useful insights on the performance of team and players. This information will help coaches verify and enrich their subjective (video) analysis of the game, and enable them to make better decisions to improve performance. It will help the team gain a competitive advantage!
Data driven analysis
SoccerLogic is based on:
Why use it? What are the benefits?
SoccerLogic is the only system that uses advanced statistical/graphical techniques and tools to analyse match data. These powerful data-driven analysis by computer enables the discovery of valuable insights on how to improve the performance of a team, and help it gain a competitive advantage.
- Performance can be evaluated in-depth, objectively and accurately
- Performance can be accurately monitored for significant changes during the season
- Factors that contribute to successful performance are identified (Success Analysis)
- Fewer but more useful stats for the coach to study – only significant ones are highlighted
- Performance analysis during a match, in real-time
- Fast analysis - coaches have more time to digest, and exploit information
- In-depth analysis of how rival teams play – better, timely scouting with fewer scouts
- Can be tailored to the requirement of each individual coach
How does it work?
There are three main steps in the process of analysis:
1. Data collection - all ball touches (time, player, position, action, etc.) in a match are coded from video (or live) using a PC and custom software. (Opta data can be used instead)
2. Analysis of this data using advanced statistical and graphical methods to produce:
- Performance statistics, charts and graphs
- Classification and identification of significant changes in any performance parameter monitored
- Graphic analysis of: position, passes, runs, shots, crosses, free-kicks, etc.
- Link-play analysis: graphic analysis of all passing sequence
- Identification of link-plays, passing patterns, and tactics
- Success analysis: finding patterns that predicate success
3. Reporting - results can be viewed and further analysed on a PC by a coach and his assistants
For a detailed Powerpoint presentation of how SoccerLogic can improve the performance of your team and help it gain a competitive advantage, or any inquiry, please
e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or ring +44 7759 765991